Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Gym Junkie"

So my latest life dilemma is my possible un-necessary excessive amount of time that I spend in the gym or exercising in general. This came about as I realised one day that I had spent about six hours of it exercising. This does include Yoga, walking, stretching, gym, boxercise and netball practicing. It had me thinking that when, though I do do it partly because of playing sport, I'm really not an elite athlete and do it to keep fit for netball and personal health whether maybe I was taking it a bit too far. I guess I've just grown a habit and I feel quite guilty if I don't continue it. Like something is missing from my day. Some may say I'm a gym junkie. And I've began to wonder if I have a concerning problem... Urban dictionaries definition of a gym junkie indicates I have no life....
"Somebody that seems to be obsessed, addicted or mentally dependable, or just really enjoys always being and working at the gym. They are usually quite built and packed full of supplements and protein shakes. Gym Junkies generally fall into a very depressive state if they do not get their daily dose of gym workout."
Though half of their definition doesn't really apply to me. I definitely don't go for the whole protein shakes and supplements thing. Makes a difference right? Dictionary dot com defines a junkie as: 
1. a drug addict, especially one addicted to heroin. 2. a person with an insatiable craving for something: chocolate junkie. 3. an enthusiastic follower; fan; devotee: a baseball junkie.
Though the second literally applies to me right down to the example, decidedly the third of these seems to describe the kind of gym junkie I am. I like to think I'm rather devoted to the gym. That's not really a bad thing right? I was in two minds about it and was glad to have a chat to one of the trainers at the gym about it. After expressing my slight concern of the matter he really pointed out something that made me feel a lot better. To put it simply, if you want to call me a gym junkie because I like to spend a bit much time in the gym that probably makes me a tv junkie because I like watching a bit much tv. I also may as well be a music, computer, food, chocolate, sugar and coffee junkie and there are probably many other things I could be accused of being a junkie of too. That makes it sound so much better. So I guess there isn't a whole lot wrong with it after all. Well. At least I've decided there isn't...

Hope you enjoyed that pointless rant!

No comments:

Post a Comment